Paint Shop

Can we paint our own office?
Office space is considered University property and must comply with University Policies, Regulations & Rules. Painting of office space will be completed by Facilities Paint Shop. To request painting an office, contact your Facilities Liaison to submit a work order.

Can we choose any color?
There is an approved color scheme that can be found on our Paint Shop page. Any of the “Whites & Lights” color selections from Sherwin Williams have been approved for use by the Office of the University Architect.

What kind of paint do you use?
Our Paint Shop uses Sherwin Williams – ProMar 200 – Zero VOC, details can be found on the Paint Shop page.

General Shop

Can your shop weld stainless steel and aluminum?
Our Shop can weld all types of metals including cast iron.

How thick of sheet metal can your shop shear?
Our Shop can shear mild steel up to 16 gauge by 10′ long and stainless steel up to 22 gauge by 10′ long.

How much do bollards cost to fabricate and install?
A bollard fabrication and installation will typically cost around $500 each, depending on size, type, location and installation method. This estimate includes paint.

How much does it cost to install a bench?
A standard 6′ long bench will cost roughly $500 to install. This estimate does not include the purchase of the bench. Also, if it is installed on a concrete slab or brick pavers, the cost will be more depending on site conditions and prep work involved.

How much does it cost to install a ‘way finding’ sign?
Sign installation costs are dependent on type, size and location. Generally the price is between $150 – $2,400 for installation only.

Lock Shop

How do I get my locks changed?
If you need your locks changed, you must contact the service center (919-515-2991) to request a work order, the information needed is the building, location, room or door number. If we are keying it to something existing then include the key mark on the key to key it to, If this is a new lock, then we need to know how you would like your key to work. We will not key offices to entrances doors or for convenience. Keys will be delivered to your department Key Representative for distribution once completed.

Can I request extra keys?
If keys are needed, and you are NOT a key representative, you must go to your Key Representative to request any keys needed. Once your key request is made the key rep will fill out a key request form then send it through inter office mail. Once we received the filled out form, we will then process it, and cut the keys. At that time we will contact your key rep and make arrangements to deliver.

What do I do if I’ve lost my keys?
When you lose state issued keys you need to notify the department who issued them to you. All state issued keys have identifiable numbers on them. All keys returned to the Locksmith Department will be identified and returned to the proper department as soon as possible. We do not give out information about where lost keys might belong or to whom, except to the Key Representative of that department.
Where to Look?
          1. Think when & where you had them last.
          2. Retrace your steps.
          3. Check with main offices in the building you were in or around.
Other Places to check:
          1. Locksmith Department (919) 515-9926
          2. Service Center 919-515-2991
          3. Steam Plant 919-515-9908

What should I do if I’ve found keys?
If you should find a set of keys, and they do not belong to your department, and you do not know where they belong, please send them to the lock shop through interoffice mail, PO box 7541 and we will investigate and return keys to rightful owners. The lock shop will not give out any information about where the keys may belong or to whom.

What do I do if I’m locked out?
In the event that you are locked out and need to send a locksmith to open the door for you, we will need you to contact the service center to create a work order.
We do not unlock rooms or buildings for anyone without verification. We have no way of knowing if you belong in the area you are trying to access. If you are authorized to have access to that room please have someone available to verify, if not then Campus Police will need to unlock the door. Please call or see if someone from your department may have an extra key first.

What should I do in an emergencies?
When emergencies occur during working hours, (7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, accept major holidays), you can submit a work request online. When emergencies occur after hours, (3:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m., Saturday through Sunday and holidays), you can contact the Steam Plant, to report your trouble with door number and location. The Steam plant will then contact Locksmith on call.

Moving Services

How do I get items moved by Facilities?
Submit a work request to the NCSU Work Center 919-515-2991

What is the process to get items moved?
A work request is submitted. A Project Manager (PM) meets with the customer. The PM determines the amount of time and labor needed to complete the move. The PM sends an estimate to the customer by email. Once the estimate is approved by the customer, the PM sets a date to complete the move with the customer.

Does Facilities move electronics (computers/printers/fax machines/paper shredders)?
Yes, but Facilities does not remove or re-install any wiring or cables to electronics. A liability waiver will need to be signed by the customer before Facilities can move electronics.

Does Facilities move items from one building to another?
Yes, Facilities has a large box truck to move items.

What types of items can Facilities move?
Facilities can move most items (desks, file cabinets, book shelves, refrigerators) but there is a weight and size limit to what facilities can transport. All items have to be removed from furniture by the customer before Facilities can move to prevent damage to items and furniture. No hazardous materials can be moved by Facilities personnel.

What is the hours of operation for moving services by Facilities?
Facilities operating hours are Mon-Fri from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm.

For More Moving Services FAQs please see the Moving Services FAQs page.

Projects Group

Where can I find average costs per square foot of lab renovations, space updates, etc?
Average costs per square foot for the various job types can be found here or under the Projects tab.

How soon will the project be complete? / What is the time frame?
This depends on the type and size of the project. After a Work Order is submitted the Estimate must be approved, and then work must be scheduled with our shops or a contractor to be completed.

When will the work get started?
Depending on the contractor’s availability, the work will be scheduled.

What is a Fac Mod? When/Where would you need one?
Fac Mod is a Facilities Modification Form. See link for more details.

Can I get an estimate on this (work)?
A Work Order, and Fac Mod if necessary, must first be submitted before an estimate can be given.

Why do I need a separate Telecom Work Order?
Telecom is a different organization, and has a different method for paying for work, including recurring fees for services.

Can you add this (additional work) after the work is finished?
Once the Work Order has been closed out, you will need to submit a new Work Order for additional work.

Why do departments have to pay for asbestos removal?
If the department occupies the office or suite in which the asbestos is being removed, it is the department’s responsibility. If the removal is in common areas such as classrooms, hallways, bathrooms, etc., it is our responsibility.

Will there be noise during the project?
Yes, depending on the type and scale of the project there will be various amounts of noise. We will do our best to accommodate, but not all noise can be avoided.

How soon will the project be complete? / What is the time frame?
This depends on the type and size of the project. After a Work Order is submitted the Estimate must be approved, and then work must be scheduled with our shops or a contractor to be completed.

What is a Fac Mod? When/Where would you need one?
Fac Mod is a Facilities Modification Form. See link for more details.

For More Projects Group FAQs please see the Projects Group FAQs page.

Temperature Control

What are the temperature set point standards?
Indoor temperature setpoints standards are in place to help maintain occupant comfort and reduce energy consumption. In general, the temperature set points will be between 72° F to 75° F degrees for cooling and 68° F to 71° F degrees for heating. When the buildings typically have low occupancy or are unoccupied, the temperature setpoints will be setback to 80°F to 85°F for cooling and 55°F to 60°F for heating.

What do I do if my room is outside the temperature set point standards?
Report areas that are too hot or too cold to the Facilities Liaison or call the Customer Service Center at 919-515-2991 to submit a work order.

What can I do to save energy?
Hit the Switch– Turn off lights when leaving a room, even for short periods of time and especially at the end of the day.
Pull the Plug– Turn off electronic devices and equipment (office, kitchen, and laboratory) when not in use. Better yet, unplug them if you can to eliminate standby power consumption.
Shut the Sash– If you’re doing research or experiments in a campus lab using a fume hood, remember to shut the sash when you’re not actively working at the fume hood.

Pest Control

Why do I have ants in my space all the time?
Ants love rain and moisture and trees close to the buildings. The campus as a whole has a lot of ants. We spray all building perimeters once a month and work closely with grounds to keep trees from becoming a highway for the ants. Your assistance in removing food waste from your office daily is also very helpful.

Tech Support

How do I get software installed on my machine?
You need to call in a work order to the Customer Service Center at 515-2991 and the IT Manager will review the request and follow up with the user.

What do I do if I am having trouble logging in to my email account?
Make sure when you login you are typing your full email address: “UNITYID@NCSU.EDU” If you leave out the @NCSU.EDU part it will not work.  If you are still having issues, call the Customer Service Center at 515-2991 and issue a work order for Tech Support to come out and look at the issue.

My computer does not turn on, what do I do now?
First check the computer’s power cord to make sure it is completely plugged into the wall socket. If you are using a plug strip, make sure it is completely plugged into the wall socket and that the power switch on the plug strip is turned on. Some plug strips also have a built in circuit breaker which usually looks like a black or red button near the power switch. Press the button to reset it and see if that solves the problem.  If that does not solve the problem, please call the Customer Service Center at 515-2991 to issue a work order for Tech Support to come out and look at the issue.


Where can I get a map of campus?
The Office of the University Architect maintains the online interactive campus map located at https://maps.ncsu.edu. The campus changes too frequently for printing maps in bulk to be feasible, so we provide PDF files for people to print on their own, as needed. We recommend the map titled “Campus Map and Directory (11 x 17)” for visitors. That map is updated on a monthly basis.

What data is available for download and what format is it in?
See our “Download GIS Data site: https://facilities.ofa.ncsu.edu/gis-data/.

Do you customize maps?
We offer pre-formated, layered PDF maps that can be customized by turning different layers on and off, as needed, within Adobe Acrobat before printing, or can be imported into a graphics program such as Photoshop with the layers intact for adding additional features. These PDF maps are in the Printable Maps sections here: https://facilities.ofa.ncsu.edu/bldg/maps/.

How can I obtain Utility data?
Contact the University Surveyor, Heath Huovinen <hehuovin@ncsu.edu>, to request access.

How is your group different from other GIS groups and centers on campus? 
The Enterprise GIS exists to support and enhance the business processes of the Administration of campus.

How can report an error I see on the interactive campus map linked on the University homepage?
Click on the “Send Feedback” link at the top, fill out the entire form with a description of the error, and click “Submit”.

How do I report an error I see on Google Maps or Bing Maps?
The mapping on these sites is not controlled in any way by NC State. On Google, click on the menu in the Search bar in the upper left, then click “Send Feedback”. On Bing, click the “Feedback” button on the bottom right. If you need assistance with reporting a change, contact GIS Manager, Andy Belcher <cabelch2@ncsu.edu>.

What is the difference between Google Maps and GIS?
Google Maps is basic map viewer that can do simple tasks like finding directions. GIS is a much more robust platform for advanced geographical analysis.

I have an idea about maps and using GIS in my department. Who do I contact?
Please contact GIS Manager, Andy Belcher <cabelch2@ncsu.edu>.


Why are services not the same as they used to be?
Over the years there have been several budget cuts which required us to change frequencies of several tasks in order to find the savings needed.

How do we get service after hours?
Call 919-515-2991 for any services at any times.

Why do I have to call Customer Service when I need Housekeeping Services?
Customer Services generates work order for all types of requests. This data allows facility departments to service customers more effectively and helps to reduce a re-occurrence of the same problems.