Building Address: 2601 Katharine Stinson Drive (show on map)
Building Abbreviation: BR
Building Number: 051
Broughton Hall houses several wind tunnels as well as a collection of diesel engines furnished by the Navy. Engraved under the cornice of the building on two sides are the names of renowned engineers: Brayton, Beau de Rochas, Diesel, Otto, Carnot, Brown, Barber, Lanoir, Priestman and Barnett.
The building is named after Joseph Melville Broughton (1888-1949) who was elected governor of North Carolina in 1941 and to the U.S. Senate in 1948. Broughton was also the first president of the Engineering Foundation. His accomplishments include the acquisition of the $2 million engines during World War II, his delegation to the 1936 national Democratic convention, and his incorporation of a supplemental, private budgetary support program for the university.Campus Buildings Campus Map