Building Address: 2500 Katharine Stinson Drive (show on map)
Building Abbreviation: BU
Building Number: 042
National attention was brought to NC State in 1955 when the first nuclear reactor in the world devoted soley to the peacetime application of nuclear fission in an educational program was installed here. Burlington Nuclear Laboratories was named after Burlington Industries, a textile company that contributed private funding for the reactor building. A 1 million watt Pulstar reactor was later added to the building with a peak power of 2,200 million watts.
The building was enlarged in 1973 with state funding, and the name was changed to Burlington Engineering Laboratories. Nuclear studies include research and training of nuclear reactor operators, methods of power generation using nuclear science, and the medical and industrial uses of radiation.Campus Buildings Campus Map