Building Address: 2520 Sullivan Drive (show on map)
Building Abbreviation: DIN
Building Number: 082
Harris, Leazar, and the original Pullen Hall served as dining facilities at different periods in the history of NC State. Fountain Dining Hall assumed this function after Harris Hall was converted into offices for student services. Located near Bragaw, Sullivan and Lee dormitories, the dining hall is essential in providing a mixed-use space for that area so that students are not isolated. With a touch of post-modern architecture, Fountain Dining Hall is a counterpoint to the size and style of the three surrounding residence halls with its single entry pavilion, white-arched windows, and unusual grain.
The building is named for Alvin M. Fountain (1900-1989) who was a long-time faculty member of NC State and devoted historian of the University. Fountain, an engineering graduate of 1923, edited the Technician, initiated the first observance of Founder’s Day, and wrote the lyrics to the University Alma Mater while attending graduate school at NC State. He taught English before attending Columbia University for his M.S. in English literature, and the George Peabody College for his Ph.D. in English. When he returned to NC State, Fountain taught public speaking and technical writing for engineering students. He wrote many historical pieces about place names on the campus both before and after his retirement. Fountain was awarded the Watauga Medal for his many contributions to the University.Campus Buildings Campus Map