Building Address: 120 Broughton Drive (show on map)
Building Abbreviation: PK
Building Number: 050
Four-story Polk Hall can be recognized from the unusual cow skulls worked into renaissance ornaments above each door. Originally called the New Animal Industry Building, it is named after Leonidas LaFayette Polk (1837-1892) who organized and led the farmers of North Carolina to insist that a Land-Grant college be established under the federal Morrill Act of 1862. His efforts, combined with those of the Watauga Club, established NC State as a college that would not only train students in the mechanic arts but the agricultural as well.