Building Address: 2501 Founders Drive (show on map)
Building Abbreviation: PT
Building Number: 046
This imposing four-story brick building with granite trim was originally known as Agriculture Hall. It was renamed in honor of Samuel Ledgerwood Patterson (1850-1908), who believed the agricultural building should be downtown instead of on the college campus. As state commissioner of agriculture, Patterson had great influence on legislation in the area of agricultural and life sciences. He initiated progressive legislation in North Carolina, including the pure food laws, tick eradication laws, appointments of a state veterinarian and entomologist, and work to arrest the destruction of field and horticultural crops.