Building Address: 1 Lampe Drive (show on map)
Building Abbreviation: RI
Building Number: 045
The buff brick and Ionic columnade of this four-story building are as impressive as the programs they house, which are dedicated to better living in North Carolina. The building has a total area of 51,143 square feet and is named after Robert Henry Ricks (1839-1920).
Ricks was a trustee of NC State for many years and provided funds for the history of the Civil War to be written by D. H. Hill. His interest in NC State was further demonstrated by his service in the 1903 legislature, which provided appropriations for much of the early development of the University. Ricks was also interested in the research and development of farm crops and methods, especially the cultivation of bright-leaf tobacco. He became successful in business in Rocky Mount, serving as director and later as president of the Rocky Mount Cotton Mills, and as a director of other mills.