Building Address: 2531 Warren Carroll Drive (show on map)
Building Abbreviation: WD1
Building Number: 112A
Wood Hall is located on the east campus of NC State. It consists of three buildings of different sizes ranging from six floors to two floors. The residence hall honors George Matthew Wood (1926-1986), who is responsible for changing the name of the university from “North Carolina State of the University of North Carolina at Raleigh” to “North Carolina State University” in 1965. The previous name had been the result of a legislative battle in which the UNC administration and supporters attempted to have a uniform name for all units of the university system. Wood served as chairman of the NC State Board of Trustees and of the Search Committee to find a successor to Chancellor Joab L. Thomas.
Wood entered NC State in 1943 but interrupted his stay when he entered the Merchant Marine in World War II. After his discharge, Wood returned to NC State and graduated with the Class of 1950. After farming the 100 acres of land given to him by his father, Wood eventually took over the family cotton gin that was left to him. With an accumulation of 4,000 acres of land and the establishment of a large grain-elevator operation, Wood began to grow potatoes under contract for a potato-chip company.